21-Day Financial Fast | Ready, Set, Go

Hey guys! Today I’ll be discussing a topic that I haven’t touched on in the past. I’ve decided to bite the bullet, get personal with you, and discuss something we tend to have a love/hate relationship with: money. Things may get awkward and at times TMI, but it’s more fun that way. This is The Naked Canvas after all, and I’m shakin’ things up.

21Day_FinancialFast

With the start of each year comes a flood of resolutions we make and attempt to fulfill. Some are easier than others. Calling your mom more often? Yeah, not the same as hitting the gym everyday. Over time, I’ve realized that making resolutions is the most successful when I make them realistic. Am I really going to lose 15 pounds this year? Or is that really just the insecure high school girl inside me taking an opportunity to complain about my thighs? Instead, I make a conscious effort to eat cleaner and use a gym membership that I’m already paying for. See what I mean?

That said, I’ve been on a “saving money” kick for well over six months now. I do enjoy living a little every now and then by eating out or going shopping with girlfriends, but those little things add up! I graduated college just a little over a year ago, and in that time, I started my first full time job, my student loans kicked in, I moved out of my house into my first apartment, and I started paying for bills that previously never concerned me. BIG. WAKE. UP. CALL. Yay, adulthood! My parents moving out when I was 16 (to be closer to our family restaurant) definitely helped me learn how to be fiscally responsible at a young age, but being completely on your own is a different story. You can see why I started making a better effort to save money.

Last Thursday, I was perusing my Facebook news feed when I came across an article that a friend (Hi, Cree!) had posted about a 21-Day Financial Fast. Being in saving mode, this piqued my interest so I gave it a read. The article challenged its reader to not spend a single unnecessary penny over the course of 21 days. You are only allowed to buy necessities such as food and medicine. Part of me thought this couldn’t possibly be that difficult. No shopping for 3 weeks? Psh, simple. How much stuff do I possibly need? The other part more realistic part of me thought ‘NO SHOPPING FOR 3 WEEKS?! Wait, you can’t even browse online? Don’t they know Hautelook begins every day at 10am?? And more importantly, TARGET RUNS DON’T COUNT, RIGHT??’ This mixed slightly skewed reaction probably should’ve scared me out of accepting this challenge, but it only enticed me to do it more. The thought of crossing that finish line in three weeks with a different sense of accomplishment and willpower excited me. And more importantly, the question mark of what this experience would teach me was the most powerful driving factor. I decided at that moment that Day 1 of the 21-Day Financial Fast was beginning.

Throughout my fast, I’ll be documenting my experience on a weekly basis and sharing it with you. Join me for the good, the bad, and the potential missed opportunities/sales/deals. Join me tomorrow for a full recap of Week 1! To read about the 21-Day Financial Fast, click here. Wish me luck!

in 21-Day Financial Fast

12 Responses to 21-Day Financial Fast | Ready, Set, Go

1. Kit Graham says:

Last year I did frugal February. It all went really well until my fridge broke and I had to spend a chunk of the money I had saved to get it fixed. Frugal Feb was a total eye opener, and a good way to start off the new year. My advice is to dig old items out of your closet – or things you have never worn, to remind yourself that you don’t need to be shopping so much. (I was totally guilty of owning things I had never worn). Reach out to me if you need moral support!

• Stephanie says:

That’s awesome Kit! That you did frugal February, not that your fridge broke I mean. Your fridge breaking probably showed you how important saving money is!

Surprisingly, my biggest problem isn’t shopping for clothes — it’s eating out! I bring my lunch to work for the majority of the week, but too often do I eat out at restaurants with friends thinking “it’s only $25.” We’ll see how this goes! Thanks for your support!! :D

2. Jalpa says:

I love this post. 21 day freeze sounds like a fun experiment. I have been thinking of trying something similar myself. Been on my mind after reading http://lifehacker.com/what-i-learned-from-a-six-month-spending-freeze-1496191624

Thank-you for the inspiration. I am looking forward to learning about how it goes for you.

• Stephanie says:

Thanks for sharing that article! So far my experience has been pretty eye-opening — you notice things you didn’t prior to the beginning of the fast! I’m really excited about doing the recaps! Thanks for your support!

3. You go girl! I think this is great. God knows I spend money like water and it is pretty horrifying. 20 oz. Diet Cokes at 7-eleven add up quickly! Suze Orman would have a field day with me! Best of luck!! Beth

• Stephanie says:

Haha, thank you Beth! You’re hilarious. Those little things really add up quicker than you think! My weakness is getting Chipotle far too often >.<

4. shaheen says:

love the inspo & can’t wait to read how it goes!!! xox

5. LIsa Smith says:

My biggest problem will be fasting from eating out. With weekly visits to my favorite pubs at $50.00 each time, this will be the tough part!

• Stephanie says:

Same here! I mostly have the shopping under control. It’s the eating out that takes the biggest hit to me bank account! On the bright side, I’ve re-discovered my love for cooking during this fast!

6. I love this. You make such a good point about setting realistic goals and not ones that are more or less setting you up to fail. I am only on a shopping freeze, but I think I am going to try and extend it and also add things like Starbucks. You are inspiring me to do more!! Sorry if we were bad influences last night :/ Looking forward to reading your recaps!

• Stephanie says:

Thanks Megan! It really is about setting realistic goals and achieving them! The little things like Starbucks really add up too! No worries about last night. That was just a little treat we all had after SOMEONE went and got my tipsy one lemon drop! Hehe, excited for Jan. 26th! ;)